Types of Braces Available
- Porcelain or Ceramic Braces: Porcelain and ceramic braces are teeth colored and thus less obvious than metal braces. However, they work just like metal braces do.
- Metal Braces: Metal braces consist of brackets and wires. They are lightweight but made from strong high-grade stainless steel.
- Invisalign: Invisalign consists of customized clear aligners that shift your teeth into the right position. This is a popular option because it allows you to straighten your teeth invisibly.
- Damon System Braces: The Damon System is a type of metal or ceramic brace that eliminates the need for the colored ties to hold the wire. It utilizes light forces to help align teeth and widen smiles.
Sports With Braces
If you’re involved in sports, your braces could be at risk if you don’t have mouth protection. Dr. Webb may recommend that you wear a sports mouthguard when playing contact sports to protect your braces and your mouth as a whole.
Time Frame For Teen Braces
The time frame for teen braces varies by patient. Most teens need to wear braces for 18 to 24 months, but it could be longer if you have severe bite issues. You’ll visit Dr. Webb about every 8 weeks for braces check-ups and adjustments. Visits take under an hour.
Flossing and Cleaning Braces
Food can get stuck in brackets and wires quite easily, so flossing while wearing braces is especially vital. Dr. Webb will teach you some effective flossing techniques. It may take a little extra time, but you’ll quickly grow accustomed to flossing with braces. Watch this video on caring for your braces.
What Not to Eat With Braces
Some types of foods can break or bend wires and brackets, so you should avoid:
- Chewy and sticky foods
- Very crunchy foods such as popcorn
- Very hard foods such as hard candy
- Any food that you bite into, for example, corn on the cob
The Cost of Braces
We understand that cost can be a major concern, and Webb Family Orthodontics does everything possible to make orthodontic treatment affordable for your family. The price of your braces treatment will vary according to the type of braces, how long the braces are worn, and other personal factors. We will work with you and your parents to find a financing solution. Contact the Webb Family Orthodontics office today for help!