It all starts with your child’s first exam. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children be evaluated by an orthodontic specialist by age 7. At this initial evaluation Dr. Webb will evaluate your child’s jaws, bite relationship, crowding and spacing issues, any possible social concerns your child may have, as well as screen your child’s jaws and soft tissue for pathology. From this initial exam, if there would be any benefit to performing early treatment, or Phase I, Dr. Webb will explain that option. However, most children are ready to join our Observation program and have their growth and development monitored every 6 months.
Phase I Treatment
Phase I treatment is typically aimed at correcting major bite issues, severe crowding or spacing, or social concerns that your child may have. Phase I treatment usually lasts around a year. The goal of Phase I treatment is generally to set your child up for an easier and more successful round of comprehensive treatment in the future. Phase I treatment typically consists of limited braces and appliances, like an expander. After Phase I treatment is complete, your child will enter into our observation program so we can monitor continued growth and development.
Why Is Pre-Orthodontic Observation Needed?
There are several reasons that pre-orthodontic observation is so important for children. These include:
- Evaluating the Primary and Adult Teeth: Many young patients are waiting until all of their adult teeth arrive to begin teeth straightening. Dr. Webb will keep track of lost primary teeth and erupting adult teeth at each pre-orthodontic observation visit. If baby teeth aren’t falling out when they should or if X-rays reveal that the permanent teeth will erupt in the wrong way, Dr. Webb can recommend removal of the problem teeth to keep your child’s bite as healthy as possible. This evaluation allows Dr. Webb to spot problems early, which often means that your child can avoid more complicated and lengthy treatment later.
- Planning Future Treatment: During pre-orthodontic observation, Dr. Webb can consult with you regarding your child’s future treatment. You can work together with Dr. Webb to plan the optimal time to begin treatment. This will ensure that the braces aren’t worn for longer than necessary. By starting with pre-orthodontic observation early, you gain much more control over how and when your child gets braces — and you also ensure that everything is done at the best possible time.
- Routine evaluation of the jaws and soft tissue is also a great way to monitor the presence of any pathology.
WFO Kids Club Details and Perks
Join and receive free orthodontic exams until you’re ready for braces! Not only are these pre-orthodontic observation appointments important to monitor growth and development, plan optimal timing for treatment, provide a great screening tool for possible pathology, but it can also be fun and engaging for your child.
Some of the perks include:
- Free Pre-Orthodontic Exams!
- Exclusive Contests & Events
- Collect Exclusive Pins Each Visit!
- Meet Webbster, the staff at WFO and so much more!
What Do Observation Appointments Cost?
There is no cost for the pre-orthodontic observation appointments. We provide x-rays and a thorough exam, all at no charge. And we do not bill your insurance for observation exams.
Ready to Schedule a Pre-Orthodontic Observation?
Webb Family Orthodontics offers pre-orthodontic observations to kids ages 6+. Ideally, we would like to evaluate all patients by age 7. The sooner that you know what your child is facing, the better and more effective their orthodontic care can be, so don’t hesitate to arrange a visit with Dr. Webb anytime. Contact us today to schedule your appointment. We look forward to helping your child achieve their healthiest and straightest smile!